[OM] Re: Keep eBay Off List (was "Olympus Zuiko 180mm F2 for sale on Eba

Subject: [OM] Re: Keep eBay Off List (was "Olympus Zuiko 180mm F2 for sale on Ebay")
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:32:54 -0800
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:10:15 -0800 (PST)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>

<snip>
I personally choose to avoid ebay and buy and sell directly.
Not that there is anything wrong with ebay and I probably could
get better deals/offers, but I don't mind paying more for buying
or getting less from selling to those I've built a relationship
with.

I've bought and sold a bit of equipment to fellow list members,
both past and present.  Never have I had a single questionable
transaction.  Never have I regretted the process.  I just hope
that Tom Scales still has some goodies left when I can get
around to buying some more stuff.  Or Joel Wilcox decides to
part with a few of his F2 lenses...  I'll stoop low and get a
black-nosed lens someday.

<snip>
I know that there will be a day when I want to get a nice T10
macro setup or a 90/2 or a newer 24/2.8 or an OM-3Ti.  When that
day comes, I'll list a wanna-buy posting and hope that somebody
responds.  Only if I can't get it from one of my friendly
resources (Tom, Patrick, etc), will I risk the ebay crapshoot.

I think that it is fantastic that we have people who buy/sell
lots of stuff on the list and those who are in the business too.
 I've given John, Clint, Olympus Guy (PVT) and Tom Scales
business.  Never have their posting bothered me.  I admire the
wise business discipline that John and Clint apply to their
business.

<snip>

  Don't sign up to the list, lurk for a while, not
contribute squat and then post a "hey check my listing out"
message.

AG-Schnozz

Very well said, AG! I too have bought several things from list members in the short time I've been on the list, and it has been a real pleasure to meet and do "business" (if you want to call it that) with Bill Barber, Tom Scales, and C.H. Ling compared with the sellers on eBay. It I too prefer my buying from and/or selling (if I do any) to list members in this way if at all possible.
-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!