Re: [OM] RE: Keep eBay Off List (was "Olympus Zuiko 180mm F2 for sale on

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Keep eBay Off List (was "Olympus Zuiko 180mm F2 for sale on Ebay")
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:10:15 -0800 (PST)
I'm not overly inclined to get excercised over the ebay
postings.  I think that they are a great "enabling" technique.

I personally choose to avoid ebay and buy and sell directly.
Not that there is anything wrong with ebay and I probably could
get better deals/offers, but I don't mind paying more for buying
or getting less from selling to those I've built a relationship
with.

I've bought and sold a bit of equipment to fellow list members,
both past and present.  Never have I had a single questionable
transaction.  Never have I regretted the process.  I just hope
that Tom Scales still has some goodies left when I can get
around to buying some more stuff.  Or Joel Wilcox decides to
part with a few of his F2 lenses...  I'll stoop low and get a
black-nosed lens someday.

I understand why people choose to sell via ebay vs offering it
here first.  Individuals have been tar and feathered for
confiscatory pricing or listing too much/too often.  I will
continue to do business on an individual basis vs the bay, but
that's my call.

I know that there will be a day when I want to get a nice T10
macro setup or a 90/2 or a newer 24/2.8 or an OM-3Ti.  When that
day comes, I'll list a wanna-buy posting and hope that somebody
responds.  Only if I can't get it from one of my friendly
resources (Tom, Patrick, etc), will I risk the ebay crapshoot.

I think that it is fantastic that we have people who buy/sell
lots of stuff on the list and those who are in the business too.
 I've given John, Clint, Olympus Guy (PVT) and Tom Scales
business.  Never have their posting bothered me.  I admire the
wise business discipline that John and Clint apply to their
business.  Go where the customers are, offer a snippet of free
contribution to the list and get oodles (lots) of repeat
business.  Olympus guy was skewered (miss piggy on a spit?) for
doing similar, but he wasn't "smart" enough to post on technical
subjects of which he was dumb as a brick.

Ebay postings--friend or foe?  I guess I'm an "old-fashioned"
kind of guy.  I like to be "dated" before getting hit with the
"proposal".  Don't sign up to the list, lurk for a while, not
contribute squat and then post a "hey check my listing out"
message.  I don't have much use for these individuals--they have
no more credibility than negesco.  If I don't know you, how do I
know that you are credible?  This list doesn't put little stars
by your posts based on approval rating.

AG-Schnozz