Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photo

Subject: Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:49:51 -0800
on 3/13/02 9:46 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

snipped out a bit...

> Work out the elapsed time between frames and how far racing vehicles travel
> at 10fps.  A vehicle moving 100 MPH travels 15 feet in 100ms; at 150 MPH
> it's 20+ feet.  More than enough distance to "blow" a composition.  It's a
> shotgun approach and not nearly as successful compared to those with
> "decisive moment" skills (far more accurate than 100ms with practice).  You
> already know it's why they're editing so many more frames than you are.  It
> takes that many for them to get *something* usable and the usable pile may
> not include what they really wanted!  IMO you have a better chance of success.

This is *SO* true. I got an MD-2 for motorcycle race pictures... I figured
5fps, I'd just pan along and get great pictures. Nope, didn't happen. I got
a lot of 'half-bikes' where the motorcycle is ahead of or behind my pan.

The M15v battery pack pooped out (technical term...) after about four rolls
of film (either undercharge or dying nicads) and the pictures on the rolls
where I manually advanced the film are much better... I had to be conscious
of my framing as I only had one shot -- much better results!

My lesson, next time (with a new battery) the MD-2 will be on single-frame,
and I'll have a very fast winder 8*)
--

Jim Brokaw