Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer phot

Subject: Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:34:31 -0500
The real question for me is learning to see. Some shots require quick
reflexes, because they are gone and you only get one chance. If you are
too caught up into thinking, you may miss the shot. So taking lots of
shots can limber/free you up so you are not afraid to actually take one
in the rarer moments. On the other hand, camera diarrhea can be a real
problem. And you may be clicking so much you actually miss the one
really good shot that happens. The only real cure is to do some serious
editing, and as Barry says, flex the critique muscles. Here's a question
for you: if you have 4-5 shots left on a 36 exposure, do you rattle
them off to finish the roll, or do you say, wow, I have 5 more
potential good shots left, and try to make each one a worthy shot?

> On that subject, does anyone have tips on how to evaluate the shots
>that worked better/worse? I can certainly tell the photos I like from
>the ones I don't like, but _why_ some are better than others is still
>a bit of a mystery to me beyond the most obvious flaws.

There is no formula that I know of. It's part of learning to see for me.
When you are seeing, take as many photos as you can, then edit.
It's good to have some mystery in the process. That makes it exciting.

Wayne