[OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?

Subject: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:12:17 -0700
 A general photography question -- I've seen many many places recommending
that the way to improve as a photographer is to take more photos, because
you only get better with practise. Sure, that makes sense -- but I've also
seen a lot of recommendations to shoot _fewer_ shots and spend more time
thinking about each one rather than just rattling off thoughtless snapshots.

 Now, obviously these two aren't mutually exclusive, and the ideal situation
would be to take a lot of well-thought-out shots -- but that's not
necessarily possible. Given a limited amount of time to spend shooting, is
it better to spend that time composing one perfect shot, or taking a large
number of tentative shots and then work out which ones worked best once
they're printed?

 On that subject, does anyone have tips on how to evaluate the shots that
worked better/worse? I can certainly tell the photos I like from the ones I
don't like, but _why_ some are better than others is still a bit of a
mystery to me beyond the most obvious flaws.

 (I know most of this is covered by getting books on composition and
suchlike, and I've stored away recommendations from the archives, but I'm
wondering what _people's_ opinions are.. And I realise that these are
probably too general as questions go, but hopefully the basic ideas I'm
after came across okay)

 thanks,

 -- dan