Re: [OM] 25 Best Cameras of all time ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 25 Best Cameras of all time ?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:23:43 -0800
on 3/14/02 7:19 AM, Mike Butler at butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Ed Senior wrote:
>
> Well, to be fair, could it be Bob Shell's 25 Best cameras of all time?
> <snip>
>
> Well, if this is the same Bob Shell that spends time on the
> camera-fix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (maybe Jim Brokaw can verify that this is the
> same guy) he has a very low opinion of the Olympus system and Zuiko
> glass in particular.

Yes, I think it is the same guy.

> We don't use our Oly gear because its popular, for myself, I use it
> because it is the best tool for me.  I find that I lose very little
> sleep over Bob's opinions of my cameras.  He does have some very
> insightful thing to say on the subject of camera repair though.
>
> Mike Butler
> Dublin, California

Bob seems like an OK guy, but he doesn't think much of Olympus. He's an
admitted longtime Canon user, and also Leica and Nikon. I suppose if I made
my living from photography I'd have the opportunity to use everything, too.
I read his views as one man's opinion, and he's entitled to it.

Each of us can use Olympus gear to make great pictures, and if a truly blind
comparison were engineered I doubt Bob Shell (or many of us...) could tell
which camera/lens took which pictures. Great pictures are all about the
photographer, not the cameras.

My read on his "Top 25" list is that it is *Bob Shell's opinion* of 25
camera systems that either had some kind of historic impact and/or are his
personal favorites. I think each of us could put together the same kind of
list... I don't read too much into it. I agreed with some of his choices,
others I don't know enough about to form any opinion.

I don't know that he *needs* to have the OM-4T listed, but certainly the OM
system was the first 'full-featured compact SLR' system and turned the
direction of the industry significantly; within a short time every other
manufacturer introduced a 'compact' SLR. If the criteria included impact on
the photographic industry then the OM system should be included... I do
agree with the Pen system's being included.

Today's wonderbricks are huge comparatively, even compared with the old
Minolta, Canon, and Nikon SLR's of the late 60's. But they are light because
they are all plastic (or light alloy). Imagine a Canon EOS-1v, Minolta
Maxxum, or Nikon F5 made all of brass -- it would weigh 5lb!
--

Jim Brokaw