Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:05:00 -0500
At 19:42 3/8/02, John A. Prosper wrote:

The real question here appears to be: what is sharpness?  The best answer I
ever saw came from prolific photo writer and photographer Michael Freeman.
Freeman defined sharpness as a SUBJECTIVE quality that arises from four
OBJECTIVE factors: resolution, contrast, granularity and acutance (or
roughly edge sharpness).

You've hit on the key elements of what makes an apparently sharp image. In the end it's how we *perceive* images with our eyes.

While apparent sharpness isn't my only criteria for film, it's an important one, and it's also important to remember that pure diffuse rms granularity contributes to it, it's not the only objective quality that does.

The same applies to print materials. Something I've been investigating also. An optical print is a photograph of the film. The Ctein article in Photo Techniques I cited a while back discusses exactly some of these characteristics in his discussion about print materials.

-- John