Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:49:55 -0800 (PST)
> > Frankly, I think Velvia is something of a mediocre emulsion.
> The best
> > results from this film I've seen have been when the
> photographer
> > (apparently) tunes the saturation _down_ in software. Then
> this film
> begins
> > to show me something. I can do without the all-too-typical
> canyon and
> > lyrical-forest shots, though.

I'll tell you what, those typical canyon and lyrical-forest
shots sell 4:1 over the non-lyrical variety.  And as far as John
Lind's comments, I agree with him in principle.  I suppose that
900f my photography is pretty much copy-cat stuff with little
originality to it.  But the remaining 10 0s ME!  Guess which
stuff sells?

Do I change ME to adapt to the desires of others?  What if they
aren't buyers, but judges?  Or worse yet, other photographers?
Originality is highly overrated.  Or is it?  Not that any of my
own stuff doesn't sell, because it does.  But evidently my
personal vision is slightly skewed from the desires of much of
the purchasing public.

Talk about a dicotomy, I shoot portraits/weddings with the
flattest film possible (Provia NC), but shoot my other stuff
with the LOUDEST film possible.  The key is, that I'm always
shooting for a specific result.  For the most part, that result
is making money.  I'll shoot what and how I have to in order to
achieve the results the client is paying me for.

However, even I have my limits.  E100VS is very nasty stuff.  It
has the tonal subtlety of Rosanne singing the National Anthem.

AG-Schnozz