Re: [OM] Ambient and Flash Ratio Tutorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Ambient and Flash Ratio Tutorial
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:47:39 -0800 (PST)
Addendem:

Our five controls are:

> 1. Shutter Speed
> 2. Aperture
> 3. Film Speed
> 4. Flash Power
> 5. Flash-Subject Distance

In the case of shooting with our OM's we immediately establish
one of the five variables and that is the Shutter Speed.  In
leaf-shutter cameras we don't have that limitation.  We can
establish the shutter speed last.

Subject, camera, lighting, facility and creative vision will all
require the locking in of any of the five variables.  You may
start with #5 which then dictates #2, #3 and #4.  Shutter speed
is then used to control the ambient or non-flash portion of the
exposure.  (When starting with #5 a flash meter is quite
desirable).

You will always be presented with limiting factors which will
automatically determine the settings of one or more of the five
variables.  These you will establish first and then work the
others to achieve the desired results.

Ken N.