Re: [OM] Ambient and Flash Ratio Tutorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Ambient and Flash Ratio Tutorial
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:17:26 -0800 (PST)
> Excellent tutorial, but I do have one quibble:
> While focal plane synch limits the *fastest* shutter speed
> to 1/60, you can certainly use a slower shutter speed if you
> want to.  At the extreme, that's how you combine a
> flash-exposed subject underneath a six-hour star trail
> exposure.  So if you really want to stick with your slow
> film, you can do it with a slower shutter speed.

What you are suggesting is true, but does reverse the sequence
slightly.  You are defining the aperture first and then the
shutter speed last.  Just like using a leaf-shutter camera--with
a speed limitation of 1/60 instead of 1/500.  Your example is a
special case where you have defined your other four variables
first.  The fact that you have selected an illustration of very
long time exposures means that the shutter speed limitation
actually does not exist.

The primary purpose of the tutorial was to work around the
normal limitation of 1/60.  Most of our cameras force flash sync
at 1/60 when using auto modes.

Ken-AG-Schnozz-N.