Re: RE: [OM] Help Me Again!

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] Help Me Again!
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:39:47 -0800
In a message dated 2/9/2002 Walt Wayman writes:

<<  The curious thing, though, is just how
many of these things had to be refurbished?  There's a whole
passel of them for sale.  Is there a reliability problem mayhaps? >>

I'm way behind on digests after a busy weekend at Laguna Seca so
apologies if this has been covered. I figured I'd better reply though
since I'm one of Walt's "enablers" in this ;-) By the way, I noticed
several E-10s being used by other media credentialled photographers,
including one CART hard card holder (easily identified by the gray
vests--track issued credential holders wore blue vests, CART hard card
holders wore the gray ones issued for the season). Nowhere near the
plethora of D1s, D1Xs, D30s, etc., of course...but a few.

Of course I saw one other OM user too, our new list member Stephen ;-)

There are a lot of reports of two problems common in E-10s that I am
aware of, especially early ones; hot pixels and misadjusted manual
focus. My understanding is that both are easily corrected now (new
version firmware maps out the hot pixels and adjustment cures the manual
focus problems). I'm guessing that to keep pace with early field returns
Olympus and/or their dealers went exchange happy. (I hear tell they
offer a refurb exchange now to "save time" quite often if you send an
E-10 in for warranty service BTW). The thing to keep in mind is that
unlike our beloved OMs, the E-10/20 is more of a "consumer electronic"
kinda item...much like a video camera, and is thus treated that way by
some retailers (such as Circuit City).

I think the refurbs *may* be a great way to go if you have confidence in
the dealer. It might be a good idea to buy an extended warranty (Olympus
sells them), and by all means shoot like a maniac in those 90 days you
do get--just in case.

Another way to go that may be even better would be the used market of
folks who built up nice little E-10 systems and are moving up. Great
package deals can be had with add-on lenses, battery packs, flashes,
etc. (like the deal Tom Scales posted a while back).

Another interesting E-10 limitation I found out the hard way is that the
auto exposure metering system in the E-10 is just as "un-predictive" as
the AF. I got spoiled, I guess, from the past 16 or so years of OM OTF
metering/auto exposure in my OM-2S and OM-4T bodies. Panning nearby cars
at a very high rate of speed (say like 140mph? think of panning about as
quickly as your body can rotate--that fast) out of a tree's shadow into
sunlight the E-10 metered on the shade even though the release point was
in the sun. Not quick enough. Over exposure city. Lesson learned...meter
on subject matter and use manual mode on the E-10...an OM-4t it's surely
not when it comes to auto exposure.

On the bright side I took a tip from our friend C.H. Ling and started
using the manual focus mode with great success, thank you C.H.!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com