Re: [OM] T-10 power source

Subject: Re: [OM] T-10 power source
From: Benson Honig <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 00:38:27 +0200
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:39:37 +0100
>From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] T-10 power source
>
>: <<<That's right; I've been experimenting with some adapters and the
>: non-regulated sometimes put out 9V instead of the 6V they were supposed to
>: give! Most of them are not powerful enough either to feed the modelling
>: lights of both heads of the T28 twin (that's where I needed it for). I'm
>: still getting the best results for both heads with the adapter of my Zip
>: drive, which outputs a very stable 5V, 1A.>>>
>:
>: Pardon my ignorance, but how does a person measure the voltage of an
>adapter
>: over time?  I have a multimeter, but I can't imagine holding it in place
>for
>: a couple hours to check for fluctuations.
>
>Well I didn't :0
>What I really meant is that some of these non-regulated adapters that I
>tried really put out 9V (continuously) when they were supposed to give 6V.
>Probably lethal for the modelling lights...
>
>hnz

Regulation varies on adapters depending on the item they are designed for,
current requirements, etc... The only way you can know what you have,
exactly, is to look on an oscilliscope under the intended load, and observe
the voltage fluctuations.  A digital multimeter will give you a clue - you
can see the output as both DC and sometimes (usually) AC. Watch the
voltages under load to see if they vary very much.  You want to have a
steady supply. For many appliances, adapters start at a higher voltage (AC)
and drop down under load, and are regulated inside the appliance itself.
The only way to know for sure is to either understand the schematic of the
item, or study another working adapter. There is actually a surprising
degree of leeway in most appliances, as there is typically an on board
voltage and current regulator, but I know nothing of these lights (Also,
the adapters themselves vary quite a bit on the same item between units).
Putting a higher voltage through a DC light could either shorten the life
or kill it = depending on the bulb specifications and the variance.  You
might be surprised to discover, however, that a typical DC bulb can vary by
as much as a couple of volts without harm. For myself, I would not worry
about the difference between 6v - 9v on a dc light bulb - if that's all
we're talking about...that is, if there are no other electronic involved,
but it would still be a risk.
Benson
Benson Honig Ph.D.
University of Haifa