RE: [OM] The Olympus E20

Subject: RE: [OM] The Olympus E20
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:58:32 -0800
In a message dated 2/8/2002 Wayne Harridge writes:

<< Moose wrote:

> Here is the DP review section on low light performance with some sample
> pics:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse20/page14.asp

Look good on the web at least. >>

And, at 8x10 enlargement size make darned good prints. I recently have
had opporuntity to compare 8x10 prints enlarged and processed on the
same machine from E-10 files and Provia F slides I shot at a recent
event. I had this opportunity because my local lab had switched to
digital enlarging for custom Type-R work around a year ago. Recently
that started offering a low cost Foto Wire software based internet
printing service that uses the same paper and processing equipment (nice
to have friends in the lab to tip me off).

Noise? Sure, the E-10 has a little. But, less than Provia F 400. A lot
less. In fact, the grain in the Provia F 100 prints is about the same
size as the E-10's "noise" at 8x10 and both prints look stunning side by
side. This with no digital post processing to remove noise, sharpen,
etc. (there seems to be a growing underground supply of shareware noise
removal Photoshop plug-ins).

Point being, the prints do look real good--if you have not seen
photographic prints made from a good digital camera you will be very
surprised. I was. They ain't just for web use anymore... (I do still
prefer film though.)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com