Re: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:15:25 -0500
On Tuesday 29 January 2002 03:46 pm, AG Schnozz wrote:

> Ok, reality check time!  The OM-4T is such a perfect camera that
> there isn't room for improvement?  You're right.  We don't need:
> -TRUE flash sync speeds faster than 1/60.
Yes
 > -Aperture in the viewfinder information.
Definitely
> -Fill-flash ratio control.
Yes
> -1 second mirror pre-fire.
OK
> -Program modes.
Not really, maybe.
> -Auto film loading.
Not really, could be useful, but ony if it doesn't increase the camera's bulk.
> -Auto ISO detection.
OK, can live without it, but would be nice.
> -Infrared remote control.
OK.
> -Autofocus.
No, that would make it a different camera. Don't go too far, there's plenty
of good AF cameras on market.
> -Matrix metering.
No! Seiously, i don't think you could improve the OM-4's multispot for a
thinking photographer. And if you want something all automatic - there are
other cameras that already do it.
> -High-point viewfinders.
Maybe, but wouldn't that make the camera bigger and heavier.
> -Manual shutter speeds slower than one second.
OK.

Obviously there is room for improvement, but some of your suggestions (AF,
matrix) would defy the whole idea - of a powerful, lightweight MF camera for
a thinking user. Olympus shouldn't try to make a silver film wonderbrick, too
late to compete with C,N,M&P. An improved OM-4 would be unbeatable as an
advanced MF camera, even now in many important areas OM-4Ti beats the new
Nikons (metering!!!). Unfortunately, this is a niche market, although I don't
think it'll disappear (like B&W didn't disappear as a creative tool).
        Pawel

--
Pawel Golik
http://www.gen.emory.edu/cmm/people/staff/pgolik.html