Re: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline - it's a family affair?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline - it's a family affair?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:14:29 -0800 (PST)
> >It's only rated at 1 MBPS down, 128KBPS up. I'd always
> thought that was what
> >I'd actually get in the way of transfer rate. Is this not the
> case?

Depends on the technology the phone company/ISP is using and how
they have implemented it and how over-subscribed their network
is.  We implemented a nice ATM solution that works beautifully,
but the Quality of Service enforcement may not kick in until a
certain level of congestion occurs.

As I type this, I'm monitoring a DS-3 backbone and see that I'm
getting about 120x throughput.  ATM is a wonderful thing.

Static IP's are a royal pain to administer.  We charge only $15
extra per month for static IP's and it's every bit a deal.  I
have a static IP for my own home DSL connection, but since it's
regularily trashed for testing purposes it's completely free. :)

Now, if I could only get SprintPCS to straighten up their
billing system...

AG-Schnozz