RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline - it's a family affair?

Subject: RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline - it's a family affair?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:07:19 -0700
At 08:28 AM 25/01/2002 -0800, AG Schnozz wrote:

[snip]

>As far as hosting it through your DSL connection...  I've spent
>half of the past month trying to get subscribers throttled down.
> ADSL is supposed to mean Asymmetrical.  Our bandwidth
>consumption is 50/50 egress/ingress.  We've got a lot of
>freeloaders doing webhosting, streaming and MP3ing.  Several are
>getting close to 50 gig a month of throughput.  Not bad for
>$39.95 a month.  Grrrr.
>
>Hmm, maybe I COULD set up a linux server on my connection.

My ISP actually offers such an option (permanent IP etc. so that you can run
your own Web server etc.), but the cost is prohibitive for a purely "volunteer"
affair (it gets into the general area of "serious hobby expenditure,"
[$159.95/month for only 4 Gigs of uploads to the 'Net per month!] and according
to my spousal unit, I've already got enough of those, thanks).  ;-)

I'm checking several avenues.  We'll see.

Garth