Re: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline - it's a family affair?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline - it's a family affair?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:35:26 -0700
At 03:27 PM 25/01/2002 -0600, Jay Maynard wrote:

[snip]

>I'm running a web server on my ADSL connection. (ADSL is all I can get in
>Fairmont, for now...and no static IP at all, &^*%^&. I'd REALLY like to get
>static IP, and it's dead simple to implement, so why don't they offer it?)
>It's only rated at 1 MBPS down, 128KBPS up. I'd always thought that was what
>I'd actually get in the way of transfer rate. Is this not the case?

Jay:

First, static IP *is* dead simple to implement, but that's not usually the
problem.  Usually, the ISP involved doesn't have a huge pool of static IPs, or
they've got a block of static IPs that aren't part of a CIDR block they control
(which means they could have them yanked by someone else -- and it also infers
a few other things I don't wanna get into now...).  It's typically a
scarcity/control issue.

Second, while you do have certain transfer rates, they aren't guaranteed, and
most ISPs actually state that you have ceilings on amount transferred per
period of time, although they don't seem to enforce them rigorously.  Last ISP
I worked for, we only ever went after the "Top Ten" bandwidth hogs (these were
people who were eating Gigs/day, or [worse] uploading Gigs/day).  We always
found there were a handful of people who were truly acting like "free riders"
-- most people used their bandwidth surprisingly sparingly, and when they did,
it was quite "bursty" and random in nature.  The hogs, on the other hand,
gobbled at the trough every damn day, all day.  And when they complained that
we were "unfairly" targeting their over-usage, our standard reply was "Pigs get
fat -- but *hogs* get *slaughtered*."  ;-)

Garth