Re: [OM] OT Wunderbrick vs. American car

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Wunderbrick vs. American car
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:57:45 -0500
Now if someone would come up with a way to economically develop a junkyard for cameras!  Then we could have parts for many years.  I go to a junkyard anytime I need that unavailable part for my 1983 Lincoln.  Do they have junkyards over the big pond too?

Gregg

Not true. For way OT reasons I bought an American car in 1995. It came with a 3yr/36000mi bumper to bumper warranty. For $700 on a $26,000 car, I bought an extended 7yr/75,000mi warranty. The camera industry doesn't provide complete 3yr warranties and the retailer warranty extensions are way more expensive. The equivalent would be $54 for a 4 year warrenty extension on a $2,000 camera! Not saying American cars are good or bad, but that all car warranties are better than any camera warranties. Long term parts availability is much better too. And they have competently fixed everything that broke for 6+ years.

Moose

William Clark wrote:

Hey Bruce!!!

You are right, he would be merrily using it.  The problem is suppose it had the same problem 2 years from now and no parts were available (remember N*ikon told him it was hard to find them now)  He, and rightly so, would be furious.  I think that is the point.  Hopefully people would not have such an experience.  What would you do if you spent $2000-$3000 on a camera and 4 years later found out that know parts were available for a problem?  I certainly would not be happy spending that amount of money without some type of support.  This is kinda like buying an American car ;> (bg).