Re: [OM] Skewed Frames

Subject: Re: [OM] Skewed Frames
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:09:35 +0000
At 23:08 1/23/02, Ag Schnozz wrote:
Since Walt lamented about the recent quality of our posts...

My OM-2S produces frames that are slightly skewed.  When looking
at a roll of processed film I see that each image is skewed
about .5mm from the next image.  In other words, the image is
rotated on the roll by probably about one degree.

Has anybody else experienced this and what can be done to repair
it?  I'm wondering if the film is slightly buckling.

AG-probably in his kill file-Schnozz

I encounter images that are slightly skewed from time to time, about 1/3 to 1/2 degree (not noticeable until shooting architecturals near a frame edge!) but I chalk that up sloppy tripod head leveling. Not the problem you've cited.

Scanned through the replies thus far and from what I gather you've been experiencing this for a long time. Is it: (a) the horizon or some other vertical or horizontal line within the image being skewed, or
(b) is the entire image rectangle skewed relative to the film strip edges?

If it's (a), nobody has mentioned the possibility the viewfinder is slightly skewed and its frame edges are out of alignment with the film gate edges.

If it's (b) I agree with the posting(s) suggesting checking the back and pressure plate.

-- John