RE: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:12:10 -0600
At 12:32 PM -0500 1/23/02, William Clark wrote:
You are right, he would be merrily using it. The problem is suppose it had the same problem 2 years from now and no parts were available (remember N*ikon told him it was hard to find them now) He, and rightly so, would be furious. I think that is the point. Hopefully people would not have such an experience. What would you do if you spent $2000-$3000 on a camera and 4 years later found out that know parts were available for a problem? I certainly would not be happy spending that amount of money without some type of support. This is kinda like buying an American car ;> (bg).

Or a PC. Try buying RAM for a four-year-old computer. If you can _find_ it, it's expensive. I had a two-year-old PC once for which it was difficult to buy a better video card (not that the one it came with was good at all); the standard (VLB) was dead in the marketplace . New Windows versions routinely obsolete not-so-old computers which don't have the necessary hardware "oomph" or some other obscure BIOS connection to the software.

Most people extend the "it's newer and it's much better" thinking about computers to other electronic devices, so it doesn't bother them so much to replace a US$600 digital camera. And at least it's not a US$2,000 PC. Whoever posted about the proliferation of 35MM and MF cameras was right on, though -- it's a mature technology. Why should the improvements be only in marketing?

Steve