Re: [OM] OM4Ti Failure

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti Failure
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:49:25 -0800 (PST)
Hmmm. That seems to be a general wekness of the
OM-4(ti). I have to reseat the battery occasionally on
my OM-4. I can defiitely understand your
disappointment though. The OM-4(ti), for all its
advanced featurs, is not the most reliable OM body.
The OM-2(n) (or maybe 3T, but I've never used one of
those) is the best for that. However I would take the
camera back to the store and maybe see if you can get
a new one (If you did purchase it with the warranty.)
After all, lemons get into every batch.

I mean my mother has been able to use her OM-2n even
after dropping it form large heights, rattling to near
pieces and other 'horror' stories with nary a blip. My
OM-4t which I admit I got only a short while ago
suffered its first smash two weeks ago at a family
reunion when my 5yr old cousin chucked it down a long
wooden staircase (Major paint flaking, but no dents,
stairs got dented though :) Nothing was wrong with it.
I do have an OM-4, however, that hates to have
unseated batteries. It makes all kinds of scary sounds
when they are unseated and it doesn't take much
jarring to get them to a wrong position.

So in conclusion. I would say take your camera to the
store you got it from if you got it new with warranty.
And try to exchange it for another camera. You might
have gotten one with a short in the batteries or just
a weak wire. My uncle got a Nikon F3 that gave him no
end of trouble, the hand winder jammed often. The
killer came when he bought a new MD4, set it to
continuos and tried shooting his kids basketball game.
The camera nearly exploded when a part broke in the
internal machinery and tore up the innards of the
thing. So lemons are definitely not unknown in the
camera world.

Mark Lloyd