[OM] OT Philosophy (was) OM4Ti Failure

Subject: [OM] OT Philosophy (was) OM4Ti Failure
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 06:47:12 +0000
I might agree with you AndrewF if I were sure that you existed to agree with.

Perhaps I need my camera to get a photo to be certain of existence outside my *immediate* experience - what I can see, hear or smell now. Getting a photo a part of the world that I was not looking at at the time proves that that part of the world existed when I was not experiencing it. That is the reason (probably) that SLRs are more satisfying than rangefinders and the like - because the mirror blocks the viewfinder for a time, however short, and when we get the prints back we can see that the world (or that scene anyway) was still there when we were not experiencing it. This is in some ways reassuring.

The trouble with cameras without a mirror is that you are never not experiencing the scene, so you are never sure that it would have been there if you had not been seeing it ...

[Will that do as a counterpoint to Shumano, Suntour and Ni-Cd old chap?]

:>)

Chris

At 12:06 +1100 21/1/02, andrew fildes wrote:
 >>>P. S. The intoxication is cognitive not physiological.
les clark / edgewater, nj / usa
Same thing?
AndrewF

Well, phenomenologically speaking, that is, if one can speak in such
long terms. Though it's a bit discouraging to discover that the most
dominant sex organ is the brain. Hmmm.

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Thinking always was sexy, hey?
Perhaps we should get a philosophy sub-group going here to counter the bike
and battery nuts? For instance, is photography part of a materialist's
search for some form of residual immortality? Proof of existence?
Sigh.
AndrewF

--
<|_:-)_|>