Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - and cropping

Subject: Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - and cropping
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:50:11 +1300
Hi,

An issue or two back there was a good article in Popular Photography on
cropping. The cover shot was a cropped platinum print of Picasso.
Remember him? he was the arty photographer who used a brush. !!

When I'm manipulating images on the computer, I crop all the time where it
is called for. Why not do it outside the computer?

I think a lot of what is involved in photography is visualisation of the final
image. I personally am nowhere near at doing this as well as I'd like. All my
life doing 35mm photography I have been trying to fill the frame to maximise
the use of the few square mm there are, as well, which runs counter to this
idea.

Also, if you are shooting for stock, and have in mind to leave blank space
that will suit as a background for print, there's another kind of visualisation
called for.

People using 6x6, it seems to me, become easily trapped in the idea that
because they are shooting 6x6 they *must* stay within it. Then, their
creativity is being stifled by the medium they are using.

s I've said before, there's merit in thinking outside the square. Only this
time,
find the non-square within the square, if the image calls for it..

There's no need for that.

Brian

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:12:51 -0800
> From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?
>
> Doesn't anybody crop and make prints the shape of the image of interest
> anymore?
>
> I was at a meeting of some photographers a few months ago. This one guy
> with a Hassleblad had taken lots of pictures on a trip to Japan. He
> printed them up at about 24" square. Technically excellent, but I could
> tell I wasn't the only one who wanted to get out the cutter. There was a
> stunning about 8x18" vertical image aching to get out of one square and
> maybe a 24x12" horizontal wishing to lose the uninteresting and
> distracting lower part of another square. This guy is trying to become a
> professional.

Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!