Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - and cropping

Subject: Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - and cropping
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:05:50 -0800
Hi,

An issue or two back there was a good article in Popular Photography on
cropping. The cover shot was a cropped platinum print of Picasso.
Remember him? he was the arty photographer who used a brush. !!

When I'm manipulating images on the computer, I crop all the time where it
is called for. Why not do it outside the computer?

I think a lot of what is involved in photography is visualisation of the final
image. I personally am nowhere near at doing this as well as I'd like. All my
life doing 35mm photography I have been trying to fill the frame to maximise
the use of the few square mm there are, as well, which runs counter to this
idea.

Also, if you are shooting for stock, and have in mind to leave blank space
that will suit as a background for print, there's another kind of visualisation
called for.

People using 6x6, it seems to me, become easily trapped in the idea that
because they are shooting 6x6 they *must* stay within it. Then, their
creativity is being stifled by the medium they are using.

s I've said before, there's merit in thinking outside the square. Only this time,
find the non-square within the square, if the image calls for it..

There's no need for that.

Brian

It depends on how you make your images as a photographer. Those of us who shoot transparency, especially, for slides make the photograph when we push the shutter button. Others use a negative as raw material for the final print. A totally different way of working. Of course I am prejudiced, but I like to think that someone who previsualizes the final image while it is being taken is more likely to get what he wants, as Ansel Adams did with negatives. I am sure you have not missed the high concern on this list from time to time about seeing the whole frame in the viewfinder. That is why. It does not take much to damage the tightness and tension of your composition. When I have used 6x6 I tend to shoot in the same way and it is difficult to crop anything from the image without destroying the picture.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California