Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls (Long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls (Long)
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:13:20 EST
jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"Photographs" as I would define them can also serve to trigger memories but
to me their primary function is the pleasure of a well composed and
implemented picture.  A "photograph", to me, is more like a beautiful
painting, if done correctly (which I have yet to do !)

With all due respect, I don't think it matters whether one uses film or
digital to achieve the above.  I have taken and seen results from film
cameras that were crap!  I have seen, and come close to achieving the above
with a digital camera.  Most if not all of what I have learned about
composition with film cameras is translated to digital.

Finally, if I take a well composed and implemented picture with an OM-4t and
a Zuiko on Kodachrome 64 and scan the slide in a high resolution scanner
(insert your favorite here) and have it printed on photo paper by a pro
printing service; and you can't tell that digital was involved; is that a
photograph or a snapshot?  If a tree falls in the forest ...

Dave Dougherty