RE: [OM] (digital) Picking a camera (my experience) (LONG)

Subject: RE: [OM] (digital) Picking a camera (my experience) (LONG)
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:14:30 -0000
<snip>
I like to shoot guns.  When people want to teach their kids how to shoot, we
recommend single shot bolt actions, so they can learn the fundamentals.
Some people go for the auto's.  They learn nothing, they will never become
good marksmen.  I wonder about those who know nothing about photography, and
start on an "auto everything" digital camera.  What will they learn?  DOF?
Doubt it, if it looks bad, just retake it, pictures are free with digital!
</snip>

I too like to shoot, at paper targets I hasten to add.  In the UK, however,
we have been banned from all but the smallest of single-shot rifles thanks
to one idiot who went on a rampage.  If only the police had done their job
properly in the first place ....  However, like you say, it has made thos
who are serious go back to first principles and learn about how to do it
properly !

<snip>

Finally, there are the digital p&s.  I think at a wedding, using these at
the banquet tables are perfect.  I am not saying they don't have a place,
but when it counts, I'll stick to film.

</snip>

This is pretty much what I was saying in one of my earlier posts tonight.
Sorry - am working through a backlog of posts starting at the most recent !!

Jon

PS - regarding Analog vs didgital as you mentioned, a close friend of mine
is what I guess you would call an audiophile.  He has just bought a CD
player for £3000 and a record player for £2000.  The record player knocks
spots off the CD player, although the CD player is among the best I've ever
heard.  And LP's are much cheaper than CD's !!  OK, so maybe not as
long-lasting, but if you take care of them ...

They don't make things like they used to .... And for that matter, they
don't DESIGN things like they used to either - or to the same
specifications.