Re: [OM] 100/2.8 vs 100/2 vs 135/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2.8 vs 100/2 vs 135/2.8
From: "Steve Goss" <steveg3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 01:08:15 -0500
This is not a complete answer, just a quick one.
Bokeh is a Japenese word, and has to do with being out of focus,
or the quality of the parts of the picture that are out of focus.

Good bokeh in a picture is where the parts that are in the
background or foreground (besides the subject of the picture) are
out of focus in a "smooth" manner, where the colors and textures
just melt into one another.

Bad bokeh often occurs with point sources of light, like light
filtering through leaves on a tree. In this instance, the edge of
the out of focus point of light is brighter than the center, and
you see a bunch of circles or arcs scattered through what should
be an indistinct section of the image.

Besides environmental causes, lens design plays a strong role in
just how good or bad the bokeh will be in an image. That's why
the  135mm f2.8, and the 100mm lenses are so revered, and why the
50mm f3.5 gets by only because it does macro so well.

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa

lenses.  I've