Re: [OM] Re: Digital v real photography - slightly OT and long

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital v real photography - slightly OT and long
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:05:30 -0800
I like digital cameras.  But I also know their limitations and where their
strengths are.  I like manual focus cameras, but I also know where their
weaknesses are.  I've tried the digital cameras, and I guess what I should
say is, there are decent digital cameras, BUT the 990f what is on the
market is SH*T.

In taiwan, one of the women at the development lab tried to sell me a
digital camera.  She said, "It's every bit as good as film on anything 8x10
or smaller."  She had a row of portraits.  "One of these is done by a
digital camera!  Bet you can't tell the difference!!"  Well, I took that
bet.  Easy for my eyes to pick out.  She brought out another set of
pictures, and again, I can pick out the digital ones.  She was amazed.  "You
are the first that can pick them out, and not by random guessing... none of
the people walking in here can."  I didn't say that they looked bad, I
didn't say that at all, I thought they looked great, but... it's like
sitting on the porch on a hot summer's day drinkin' grandma's homemade
lemonade.  It just tastes better.  Some will argue, same ingredients as the
mass produced stuff... but grandma's taste better, ALWAYS.

I just got my 10 rolls back from the lab.  My pictures I took in taiwan..
Great stuff..  When my scanner comes next week, I'll throw them up for you
all to see..  There was the waiting...  people hate to wait, that's why
digital works so well... instant gratification.  But like a little kid the
night before xmas, looking at the pictures were a lot more fun BECAUSE of
the wait and anticipation, that's a factor that some don't ever consider.

I drive a stick shift, others say driving an automatic is "better" and it
will replace 1000f manual transmissions.  I don't think so, there are some
of use who are purists at heart...

Last but not least, what I experienced out in the desert in 135degrees and
0.030midity (so the sign said) none that is NONE of the electronics based
cameras worked..  All crapped out on me and my friend.  That's a lesson I've
learned and NOTHING you can say will make me forget that, and the
experiences we had that was not captured..  Soo....  Digital has it's place,
but it does not by any stretch of the imagination, dominate the spectrum of
photography, nor will it ever.

Albert.