[OM] Anti-Espresso Lens

Subject: [OM] Anti-Espresso Lens
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:26:51 -0800 (PST)
OK, that does it!

I've determined that I can't have super-teles like the 600/6.5.
I love my espresso too much.  Is shooting a super-tele worth
giving up espresso?

However, I have found a work-around.  Yesterday, we went out to
the prairie and the elk were just a couple hundred meters from
the roadway.  I stuck the lens on the tripod and my
"shoulder-stock-thingy" on the camera.  Using the tripod to
support the lens and the camera effectively jammed into my
shoulder allowed me to shoot very solidly without any visible
shake.

For those wondering about my shoulder-stock-thingy, it is
basically one of those ball-head flash mounts (1-inch ball) on a
7 1/2 inch section of tripod center-column.  Just loosen the
ball and swing the center-column so it is pointing just about
straight back.  When putting the camera up to your eye, the
column jams into your shoulder.  Little painful at first, but
callouses do build up.  Adjust the positioning as necessary for
your specific build.  Verticals require that the column be about
45 degrees to the left.  Not as painful in the wintertime when
you are wearing heavy jackets.  I usually carry around the
tripod portion with me too, so I can set the legs up where I
want, loosen the ball-head knob to drop the center-column
straight down, tighten and drop down into the tripod base.  In
less than five seconds I can go from shoulder-stock mode, to
tripod and vise-versa.

It really works.

Now, back to the espresso...

AG-GG-G-GG-GG-SHNOZZ-ZZ-Z-ZZ-Z-ZZ-Z-