[OM] Catch a falling lens.

Subject: [OM] Catch a falling lens.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:09:23 +1300
Hello folks,

Just a note about something that could have been a lot worse.

I was taking macro shots of some blooming flowers (really ! <g>) with a
100/2 plus the Zuiko 55mm dia Closeup auxiliary lens (thanks Bill) and was
focussing away, getting that fine focus - when the lens fell off the camera.

Onto the ground quite close, and fortunately, fell on its side.

For an instant I thought  it could be the extra weight of the extra piece of
glass had torn it off the mount ;=)  not really.

What it is, is that the tab that clicks into the detent slot  to hold the lens
on
the camera, has become loose.

Either it is screwed onto the lever that you press to remove the lens (and the
screw has come loose and is about to fall into the works of the lens), or it is
a bent tab that now has metal fatigue and is about to snap off finally and fall
ditto. Neither is a welcome proposition. It is definitely loose on its mount.

The 3 Phillips-head or Pozdrive screws that hold the inner lens retaining ring
are smaller even than my smallest instrument screw-drivers, so to the Dr it
must go. In any case I'm not sure I'd be game to dissect this particular lens.
There's quite a cavern behind there for little bits to fall into and get lost.

So be warned, if you find your lens is coming loose as you focus, check that
little tab for secure fastening.

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!