Re: [OM] New Olys (digital interchangeable lens SLR) - 253709.

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olys (digital interchangeable lens SLR) - 253709.
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 13:08:42 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 7:08, Olympus <DISTEC@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] New Olys (digital interchangeable lens SLR)" saying:

> Dear Tom:
>
> Thank you for contacting Olympus Digital Technical Support in the United
> States.
>
> Olympus film camera lenses do not work correctly with Olympus digital
> cameras.  Film camera lenses are designed to direct the incoming light to
> the larger area that film cameras have than for the smaller CCD area of
> digital cameras.

Many Olympus OM SLR users have many high-quality Zuiko lenses, including
telephotos.

Will the *new* Olympus camera with interchangeable lenses have an adaptor
to take our existing Olympus lenses? I realise there will be even more of a
telephoto effect. The Nikon and Canon SLRs have the same characteristic.

This would be quite an incentive for us to buy an Olympus digital camera if
it can take our SLR lenses.

Thanks, Tom

> [...]
> olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>                                       OlympusCompany
>                     12/20/2001           cc:
>                     09:09 AM
> Subject:     Re: [OM] New Olys (digital interchangeable lens SLR)
>                     respond to
>                     ZuikoLover
>
> On Thursday, December 20, 2001 at 11:41, Roger Wesson
> <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote re "Re: [OM] New Olys" saying:
>
> > ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Here's the main paragraph of the Photo Industry Reporter article.
> The
> new
> > > interchangeable-lens digital SLR *will not* use existing Olympus
> > > lenses....
> >
> > This INFURIATES me!  Why on earth would it not?  If you really do need
> > different optical technology for digital as opposed to film use (and I am
> > not sufficiently informed to know why this is.  In astronomy, there was no
> > need to build masses of new telescopes when CCDs began to
> replace
> > film 10-15 years ago) you could at least use the same mount as the old
> > lenses.  The Nikon D1X can use Nikkor lenses made in the 50s, and this
> > doesn't seem to have affected its reputation for producing high
> quality
> > images.  I've never seen a review that didn't drool over it.
> >
> > Is this just Olympus wanting to force us all to buy entirely new kit
> if
> we
> > should want to go digital?  If so, then that's the kind of thing
> that'd
> make
> > me want to switch to another less cynical manufacturer (if I didn't
> have
> an
> > irrational and unshakable affection for Olympus cameras).
>
> But:
>      - the image sensor is much smaller than a 35 negative
>      - good Zuikos don't support autofocus
>      - Zuikos don't communicate their absolute f/stop
>      - people want image stabilisation
>      - CCD & CMOS prefer vertical light entry (shouldn't be much of an
> issue
> for telephotos)
>
> So Olympus is smarter to design a new system, before anyone else does, that
> takes advantage of the the smaller image sensor to make a system smaller and
>  lighter than the N---- & C----- behemoths. Presumably all later bodies will
> keep the same size sensor, even if they increase the number of pixels.
>
> Let's hope they have an OM adaptor. If they're smart, they'll have
> adaptors
> for OM, N----, C----- M------, P-----, Tamron, and Pen to make
> transition
> attractive for a large customer base.
>
> The non-AF, non-IS lenses should be easy. The others may run into patent and
> logistical (weight, placement, software, voltage, ...) problems.
>
> What about it, Olympus? Will there be adaptors? Will you tempt us?

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which,
if anything small falls into them they ensnare it,
but large things break through and escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."   --
Benjamin Franklin