Re: [OM] photography at LA auto show

Subject: Re: [OM] photography at LA auto show
From: "roger skully" <robinsnes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 12:38:16 -0500
Dear John:

Yes, it was you I wanted to contact. Thank you for the comments on the tope
7.

I cannot currently find your wedding site, but I did read it several days
ago. I was somewhat amused, and concerned (not very) about your seeming
relegation of professional wedding photographers to the status of esoteric
gurus who will not share with the masses. e.g. the section about what they
don't want you to know.

Another suggestion was to shoot the job behind the photographer in 35mm and
then deliver it in an hour to the B&G. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

The work of that professional is copyright and it is like theft to take
images that he has posed or groups he has arranged for his photos.

The professional has invested time, education, and much money for equipment
to produce his images. To suggest that that can be duplicated with an OM and
T32 is absurd. Perhaps a pro could do it, an amateur definitely couldn't. If
nothing else, some of  your comments on how-to omit or assume a great deal
of basic knowledge about film and light management that few amateurs
possess, are misleading.

Please understand, I respect your photography and professionalism in your
field. To suggest that the designing that engineers do can be done with no
engineering education would be misleading. Some things probably could, other
things could result in disaster.

There are few life-and-death issues at a wedding. On the other hand,
important images are produced. A clown with a 35mm and migiccube mounted in
his hot shoe are a hindrance and do the bridal couple a disservice.

I'll try to draw a diagram of the cat-woman lighting. I'll send it to you in
the next couple of days. Thanks for your kind comments. Please do not take
offense at my above comments.

Happy Holidays
Roger
Roger Skully