Re: [OM] Digital Preview[OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Preview[OT]
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:45:01 -0800
In a message dated 12/12/2001 Dave Dougherty writes:

<< So, the hope is that the new OLY Digital SLR with interchangable
lenses will
have a selective focus option or a "spot focus" setting like "spot
metering".
 Tom Scales, do you experience this difficulty with the E-20? >>

The E-10/20 does indeed have "spot focusing" (along with spot metering).
The AF is outstanding. Blows my IS-2 to bits. (no pun intended ;-)...)
Seriously, in shooting panned shots at the track I was able to focus
lock on asphalt instantly, pan, shoot, and do it all over again 'till
the memory buffer filled up (which it only did when I was going at a
feverish pace). Yes, like all AF cameras, you need to learn how to make
it focus on the subject you want in focus, then continue to hold the
shutter release half way while you recompose and shoot. The E-10 is so
fast that despite not having "predictive AF" or "Continuous AF" ala a
wunderbrik, I found it could find focus, lock, and fire _when *I* wanted
it to_ while panning a fast moving car better than 500f the time.
Amazing. Then again, I found that using the manual focus technique of
prefocusing (but using AF to prefocus) was 100% reliable (hmm...same
technique a Canon wunderbrik user friend still uses despite all the
bells and whistles).

How's your E-20 doing Tom???

Olympus done good with the E-10/20.

Mike Veglia