Re: [OM] Back from travels - security notes

Subject: Re: [OM] Back from travels - security notes
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:32:34 +0100
Aha, yes, the security issue.  Quite a lot more security procedures than
the last time I travelled, but nothing really too obtrusive.  I took all
my film in my hand luggage, which I've never bothered to do before.
Kept a careful lookout on the various machines for notes about film, and
they all said they were safe up to a certain speed, which was 3200 at
Heathrow, 1600 in Japan (Tokyo, Narita and also Kansai, Osaka) and 1000
in Australia (Sydney).  I don't know whether they account for the fact
that your film is likely to go through three or four machines on a
typical journey, but as all my film except one roll was 100 speed I
reckoned it would be all right with a few passes.

Thanks for answer. Haven't flown myself since september.
Do you or anyone know what a plausible damage factor from multiple passes
could be. Do you double the risk (i.e an ISO 800 would make it one pass
through Sydney, but be destroyd the next)?

The other roll was1600 speed (in case I got to see the Leonids, which I didn't - bah!),
and as the notice in Australia said that films faster than 1000 speed
could be hand inspected I requested this.  I obviously got a bored
security guy because he mindlessly insisted that the notice said 2000
speed was OK.  I insisted in return that it quite clearly said 1000 and
I wasn't going to put 1600 film through the machine and after a bit of
inane hesitation he agreed.

So persistance and patience is recommended to bring on the next trip ;-)

Another point I noted with world-weary cynicism was that on Japan
Airlines you get plastic knives, but they still give you metal forks.

How about those chop-sticks? Pointy enough to poke an eye with...

I'll find out soon enough whether the film made it through the x-rays OK
- posted it all to Fuji on Friday so it should be coming back tomorrow
or thereabouts.  If there's anything up I'll let everyone know.
Cheers,
Roger

Holding my thumbs

Cheers