Re: [OM] Back from travels - security notes

Subject: Re: [OM] Back from travels - security notes
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:29:44 +0000
> Anticipating those pictures of yours.

Me too!  Worst thing about travelling is the agonizing wait to see the
pictures.

> A question: did you have any problems with airport security, x-rays and stuff?
> Either Down Under, in Japan or on return to the heart of the Empire ;-)
>
> Henrik Dahl

Aha, yes, the security issue.  Quite a lot more security procedures than
the last time I travelled, but nothing really too obtrusive.  I took all
my film in my hand luggage, which I've never bothered to do before.
Kept a careful lookout on the various machines for notes about film, and
they all said they were safe up to a certain speed, which was 3200 at
Heathrow, 1600 in Japan (Tokyo, Narita and also Kansai, Osaka) and 1000
in Australia (Sydney).  I don't know whether they account for the fact
that your film is likely to go through three or four machines on a
typical journey, but as all my film except one roll was 100 speed I
reckoned it would be all right with a few passes.  The other roll was
1600 speed (in case I got to see the Leonids, which I didn't - bah!),
and as the notice in Australia said that films faster than 1000 speed
could be hand inspected I requested this.  I obviously got a bored
security guy because he mindlessly insisted that the notice said 2000
speed was OK.  I insisted in return that it quite clearly said 1000 and
I wasn't going to put 1600 film through the machine and after a bit of
inane hesitation he agreed.

Time wise 2 hours before flying was plenty enough time to get through
everything, the only slow point being the inspection of had luggage at
Heathrow, for which there was a huge queue and only one inspection
point, which at the busiest airport in the world was possibly a bit
ill-considered.  No wonder it's not the heart of an empire any more,
eh?:)

Another point I noted with world-weary cynicism was that on Japan
Airlines you get plastic knives, but they still give you metal forks.

I'll find out soon enough whether the film made it through the x-rays OK
- posted it all to Fuji on Friday so it should be coming back tomorrow
or thereabouts.  If there's anything up I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
Roger