Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produced prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produced prints
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 01:50:39 -0500
In Canada, I suggest Ikea as a source for cheap frames with glass. Cdn$10
for ~14x17 print, frame ~16x20.

Many times frames are sold cheaply at discount stores with some mundane
print inside, which can be discarded. But check to see it can be taken
apart and reassembled with matte, first. Many can't.  Metal is usually
archival, woods, plastics are iffy unless they say "Archival" since they
can leak fumes that change the colours of the

Supplies: 30x40" acid-free board ~$8 Canadian.

SH-Filmoplast linen tape 1 1/8" x 25m (!) 27.95 (self-stick)

For mounting, I cut a matte and then just use about 4" of "archival" acid-
free linen self-stick tape to tape the print to the matte board. That way,
the print has freedom to shrink or expand with humidity, without bending
what it's mounted on. And it's easy to unmount. Archival also means being
easily able to undo things, as well as non-acid, long life, and not
chemically

Straight matte cutting is very easy with the Logan cutter. You just need a
cutter and the channelled guide bar. (Team 424 or 440)
http://www.artproducts.com/logan/kit.htm  ($45) The cutting bar has inch &
cm measurements so you can use it for your ruler. My cutter has a fixed 45
degree angle.

And you need a comfortable breakable blade knife to cut your matte to size
($8),  and a cutting mat to cut on (e.g.
http://www.speedpress.com/cuttingmat.htm ). I suggest one with inch or cm
markings. ($35)

I also put some 1/8" hardboard on the table I use to protect it. ($15)

Steps:
        - mark 4 borders on back with pencil (margins should be = top & sides;
bottom can be bigger)
        - place guide along line
        - align mark on cutter with the pencil line for border you're starting
at
        - push steadily until you get to the other border
        - repeat for each border
        - Done.

Easy, takes ~5 min/ print + another 5 to put in frame. Just be careful &
methodical.

To bring prints to a contest or exhibition, forget the frame & just hinge
the matte to a backing board (on the inside).

You can buy all of what you want at any art supply place.

Boards are probably much cheaper if you buy a bunch, but I like to choose
the colour I want for each batch of prints.

Good luck with your dates. Just invite anyone interesting out for coffee or
a drink & see if you get along well enuff for a 2nd occasion. It can be fun
& enlightening even it leads nowhere. And your experience level rises.

Tom

On Saturday, December 08, 2001 at 17:38, Andrew Dacey
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produc" saying:

> On 12/8/01 5:12 PM, "NSURIT@xxxxxxx" <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Would like some advice about how others on the list handle prints they are
> > going to frame with a cut out mat.  Do you have the photo finishing lab dry
> > mount it for you (just about doubling the cost of your photograph) or do you
> > somehow attach it to the artboard yourself?  Is there a source for precut
> > mats?  I would like to see some general conversation about getting the
> > photograph from being a print to being a framed print.  Perhaps even some
> > advice about where to get simple (quality) frames without taking out a
> > second
> > on the homestead. As always thanking the list in advance for your advice.
> > Bill Barber
> >

> I'd have to agree that American Frame (http://www.americanframe.com/) is
> great. There website is really good for getting exactly what you want and I
> was very happy with the quality of the materials. Just go to the site,
> choose a frame style, then supply the dimensions of your art and the borders
> you want, and it figures out the order (including options like backer boards
> and plexiglass). One thing I found though was that the shipping costs can be
> expensive (but that was to Canada). I ordered one frame (with mat, backer
> board and plexi) and it cost as much to ship it as the whole order! But,
> that was a 16" x 24" frame (the frame comes in pieces but the mat board,
> plexi and backer board determine the package's dimensions) so it wasn't
> exactly a small package. Ordering in bulk would probably save a lot for 2
> reasons. First, they offer discounts for larger orders; and second, the
> package wouldn't be bigger, just thicker. Still, even with the cost of
> shipping I think the whole thing cost me $70 US (roughly $100 CDN) which is
> about the same as it would've cost me to have the work done locally.
> Shipping within the states is probably much cheaper and it would certainly
> be more economical to do a larger order, but I just wanted to try them out.
> Will probably be doing a larger order from them in the near future.
>
> --
> Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
> frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.tildefrugal.net/

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls
into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and
escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."     --
Benjamin Franklin