Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produced prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produced prints
From: Dean <dean-yoshizumi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:31:34 -0600
Bill,
www.americanframe.com
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/

The above are two highly recommended do-it-yourself sources for anything having to do with framing. Light Impressions is costlier, but they have a larger array of products (e.g, archival storage materials, lightboxes, loupes, etc). Still, you have to pay slightly more for that variety.

If your only goal is framing then American Frame can handle the job, and their prices are more reasonable. Their website is much easier to navigate than LI - but LI has improved their site so my description might no longer hold.

If you want to dry-mount your prints then LI might hold the edge because (I believe) they have more products that can handle the job. 3M has a 2-way tape for dry mounting that is simple to use, but, depending on who you talk to, not necessarily archival. You can also attach the photo to the mounting board by archival cloth tape or picture corners. I'm not sure how they hold up after 25 years, but 5 year old prints seem to be doing ok with either product. I've had conversations with some framers who tried to scare me into dry mounting a print because they say my prints will "bubble" and distort if mounted any other way. Of course, they just happened to have examples to prove it.

hope this helps a little. but, it would be nice to hear from others who are more experienced...

-dean

Would like some advice about how others on the list handle prints they are going to frame with a cut out mat. Do you have the photo finishing lab dry mount it for you (just about doubling the cost of your photograph) or do you somehow attach it to the artboard yourself? Is there a source for precut mats? I would like to see some general conversation about getting the photograph from being a print to being a framed print. Perhaps even some advice about where to get simple (quality) frames without taking out a second on the homestead. As always thanking the list in advance for your advice. Bill Barber