Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produced prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Matting/Mounting OM produced prints
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:38:39 -0400
On 12/8/01 5:12 PM, "NSURIT@xxxxxxx" <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would like some advice about how others on the list handle prints they are
> going to frame with a cut out mat.  Do you have the photo finishing lab dry
> mount it for you (just about doubling the cost of your photograph) or do you
> somehow attach it to the artboard yourself?  Is there a source for precut
> mats?  I would like to see some general conversation about getting the
> photograph from being a print to being a framed print.  Perhaps even some
> advice about where to get simple (quality) frames without taking out a second
> on the homestead. As always thanking the list in advance for your advice.
> Bill Barber

I'd have to agree that American Frame (http://www.americanframe.com/) is
great. There website is really good for getting exactly what you want and I
was very happy with the quality of the materials. Just go to the site,
choose a frame style, then supply the dimensions of your art and the borders
you want, and it figures out the order (including options like backer boards
and plexiglass). One thing I found though was that the shipping costs can be
expensive (but that was to Canada). I ordered one frame (with mat, backer
board and plexi) and it cost as much to ship it as the whole order! But,
that was a 16" x 24" frame (the frame comes in pieces but the mat board,
plexi and backer board determine the package's dimensions) so it wasn't
exactly a small package. Ordering in bulk would probably save a lot for 2
reasons. First, they offer discounts for larger orders; and second, the
package wouldn't be bigger, just thicker. Still, even with the cost of
shipping I think the whole thing cost me $70 US (roughly $100 CDN) which is
about the same as it would've cost me to have the work done locally.
Shipping within the states is probably much cheaper and it would certainly
be more economical to do a larger order, but I just wanted to try them out.
Will probably be doing a larger order from them in the near future.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx