Re: [OM] NiMh in flash?

Subject: Re: [OM] NiMh in flash?
From: "Andrew Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>" <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:30:39 -0800
I have had very good luck with the F-40 [digicam] flash and Radio Shack NiMH
batteries run through the rat shack 1-hour NiMH/NiCd charger.  I've also used
these in a C2500L and D620L with great results.  In addition, they work just
fine in a Vivitar flash, with much faster recharge times on the flash both
on-camera and in the flash.

Not all NiMH batteries are created equal!  I've had particularly rotten
results from "Digital" cheapie [$10 for 4!] NiMH batteries from Fry's.

Not all chargers are equal as well.  I trust more in "Smart" chargers ....
which also happen to be fast chargers as well.  The charge cycle is
temperature and wattage controlled to yield optimal results.  A charger that's
just a wall-wart will toast your batteries slower than you can say
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".  They may not seem toasted the first
time you use the charger, but they will be toasted eventually.  I'm using
years-old NiMH batts that came with my 620 that have only seen the Olympus and
Radio Shack chargers.

All of that said, I have read good reviews [on photo.net] of the Maha chargers
and batteries.  [As of say 18-24 months ago]

        andy