Re: [OM] which OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] which OM?
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 03:21:10 -0800 (PST)
Thanks everyone for your advice everyone.  I have decided that I am going
to get an OM20, although may opt for an OM10 as these are easier to find.
 Although I would like to go for an OM2, these are a fair bit more
expensive.  OM10/20 sounds like a good starter camera for light use which
is what it would get initially.  If I find myself getting more involved
with photography then I may get an OM2 at a later date.

I planning to use the camera for general use and for taking more
interesting photographs and experimenting generally.  I want to use B+W
film a lot.  I like the way that B+W prints are less muddled than a lot
of colour prints and focus the eye more on the detail within a photo.

I may also experiment with manipulating the photos on a computer.  My
first idea for a series of photos would be my walk in to work.  This is a
fairly unremarkable journey but I always think about things a lot at this
time of the morning.  I may then then put the images on my computer and
put a slide show or similar to music (I listen to my walkman going to
work) to try and capture a certain mood.  I would use B+W film and try to
capture the bleakness of Sheffield (UK) city centre.  What I will do next
only my imagination can know!

I have previously been using a little point and click Samsung AF-220 that
I have been very happy with.  I have taken some fantastic pictures of
very good quality compared to many other point and click cameras.  This
camera is a bit broken now though, it won't rewind and one of the hinges
is broken.  I still plan to get to use it for when a point and click is
more suitable becuase of the high quality images that it produces.

Where is the best place in the UK to get film developed?  I normally use
boots, although last time I used Max Spielmann and got some bad quality
prints back(colour very washed out and grainy).  I got them to redevelop
the film and they came back loads better.  I hadn't realised that
'professional' development could vary in quality so much.

cheers,
John