Re: [OM] Don't clean like this

Subject: Re: [OM] Don't clean like this
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:33:26 -0800
Charles:

First, welcome to the list!

Second, my applogies to you if the off-topic stuff is distressing to you
(and for my part in it).

I suspect the OT posts are a combination of a group of bright,
interesting people, and a genuine lack of new developments in the OM
world.

The best way to divert them back "on topic" is to ask an OM-related
question.  Perennial favorites are:

1. What do I do to replace the mercury batteries in my OM-1?
2. Which OM body is the best? (or your favorite)
3. What lens should I buy? (pose some use of the lens, i.e. bird
watching)
4. What stuff should I take when I travel to ...(insert destination)
5. Ask for a discussion of single-coated vs. multi-coated.
6. Ask someone to define "reciprocity failure" and use it in a sentence.
7. Ask what system everyone would go to if the OM system were vaporized
from the earth.

Example follows:

"Hi Zuiks:

I recently pulled my cherished OM-1n from the closet, and discovered to
my horror that the mercury battery that I installed in 1979 had failed.
My camera dealer has told me the Hg batteries have been outlawed by all
civilized nations of the earth (and Canada <g>).  What should I do?

I carry the OM-1 as a backup to my OM-2n, with a  serial number above
XXX,XXX.  As everyone knows, this is the best and most sought after of
the single digit OM bodies.  I was checking the condition of my
equipment as a part of my preparation for my expedition to a bird
sanctuary on the Gulf of Anarchy.  Does anyone have any experience with
the Zamit 600 mm f/4 Cadiospheic?  I had hoped to use this fast super
telephoto to photograph the nesting habits of the area's penguin
population, but I am concerned about the potential for reciprocity
failure when using Velvia.  The example of the Zamit that I found
locally is of the "silver snout" variety - are these early lenses
multicoated?  Maybe I should just sell all of my OM stuff on evil bay,
and buy a Contax 645.

So, what do you think?"

Whew!

Bill Stanke