Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?

Subject: Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:58:36 +0000
At 06:26 11/26/01, Dean noted and then asked:
I noticed on the http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif.htm site that the use of a cable release is not recommended for a few lenses. The recommendation is to use your finger while holding the body steady. Is this what all you zuikos practice? Or, do you use a cable release? thanks.
-dean

I've done (and still do) both. Depends on situation and lens. For long timed exposures I use a cable release with a lock. For shorter shutter speeds and lengths beyond 200mm I use a cable release. At about 500-600mm (no additional bracing to stabilize the body/lens) I usually use the self-timer as well to allow the vibrations to settle. At 200mm and shorter it depends on situation. I've done both. At reasonbly short shutter speeds often all that is needed between 100mm and 200mm is stable camera bracing. Aside from whether or not a cable release is used, tripod sturdiness, rigidity and setting it up for high stability is also important. Among some of the tricks is attaching a 2-5 pound weight to the bottom of the center post. This adds some downward force to the tripod, decreases twist and can increase stability on soft or somewhat shaky ground (I've used my smaller camera bag for this).

-- John