Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?

Subject: Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:04:17 +0000

To recap on this topic - Olympus are the authors of the recommendation to hand hold the camera and lens when using telephoto and longer lenses. I have never heard of their recommendation being specific to certain lenses, just the longer focal lengths in general.

Olympus says to use a tripod as something to take the weight of the camera and lens while they are held and guided by your hands. One hand cradles the lens, operating the aperture and focus rings, while the other holds the camera and operates the shutter release.

They recommend against using a tripod as the sole support and using a cable release - with long focal length lenses.

Although the technique might seem counter intuitive it makes sense. The human body is mostly water, consider that it is somewhat like a stiff jelly. As such, it has inherent vibration damping characteristics - have you ever touched your hand to a vibrating bell or piece of metal - instant damping of the noise and vibration.

So by holding the lens and camera body you will absorb and damp out vibrations from the aperture stop down, mirror and shutter mechanisms which occur when the shutter release is pressed.

I have tested this method using Provia 100, an OM-4Ti with a 300/4.5 + 1.4x TC (420mm) and a Benbo tripod.

I took a shot with the tripod head loose while supporting the camera and lens with my hands, a shot with the tripod supporting the camera/lens but using the self timer and a shot with the tripod supporting the weight of the lens/camera and using a cable release. I think the shutter speed was 60 or 125. The shots taken using the hands on approach and with the self timer were indistinguishable from each other. The one taken using the cable release had noticeably less resolution, though it wasn't entirely dreadful.

I did not use multiple shutter speed/aperture combinations with each method as I was just finishing up a roll at the time.

I now either use the hands on approach when the indicated shutter speed is over an eightth of a second - below that I use the self timer where possible.

Giles

I was curious so I checked as well and came up with the same as you did-nothing.

Intuitively one might well suppose that the longer the lens focal length then the more sensitive that lens would be to shake, but the thing is the entire point of a cable release is to minimize any shake from your hand touching the camera in the first place. With mirror lock-up you minimize camera shake further, though assuming a sturdy tripod I've always wondered if this wasn't a point of theological nicety when it all boiled down. I'll tell you this: I'd hate to have to judge between two photographs taken with a 4T, one using a cable release, the other the self-timer.

Tris

I noticed on the http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif.htm site that the use of a cable release is not recommended for a few lenses. The recommendation is to use your finger while holding the body steady. Is this what all you zuikos practice? Or, do you use a cable release? thanks.
-dean