Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:56:49 +0800
Japanese quality? No question it could be one of the best in the
world. But I had bought a Panasonic VCR (Made in Japan) in early 90'
that fail to tune up to any station. When I return the unit the sales
had not ask any question (not usual in Hong Kong at that time, they
usually ask a lot of question just try to reject your return), the
salesman admit it was a common failure of the model.

Our OM-10 has oil magnet problem, the 35-70/3.6 that designed to be a
high quality zoom lens but all I have seen (over five) were very poor
mechanically, they have also used some poor rubber that crack more
easily than the other Zuikos. The focusing is not smooth (without a
constant force), the lens element also has separation problem. The OM4
and OM3 has battery drain problem, some were better and some were very
poor. Just named a few example.

Back to the statistical process control your guy mentioned. You think
quality control is that simple? I have been in electronic
manufacturing for around 18 years. For manufacturing quality, nothing
is perfect and 100% accurate, not every product is the same. There is
an acceptance "range". Whenever the product quality is fall into that
range it is okay to ship. You cannot adjust the production tool every
minute. There is no question that some of you will not understand.

C.H.Ling