Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:27:07 -0800 (PST)
David Matteson wrote:

Hey Guys: I am very new to this list, less than one week, and this may
be an amateur question but can you tell me the significant differences
between the 50mm Zuiko lenses? I am speaking of three different
apertures that I have seen, 1.2, 1.4, and 1.8. Any help would be
appreciated.

Well, what a terrific list this is! Although David's question has been
addressed multiple times in the past, nobody gave a grumpy answer like:
"Why don't you look in the archives?" which is what would have happened
on some other lists I could mention! Instead, people here cheerfully
shared their knowledge, and that's great to see.

Welcome to the list, David. I would only add one thing to what's
already been said, and that is that the single-coated version of the
50/1.4 is a dog. Its resolution at f/1.4 is so poor it makes accurate
focussing impossible. You can get acceptable results at medium to long
distances with smaller apertures like f/8 (big deal), but for close
focusing wide open, forget it. Any version of the f/1.8 lens is far
superior.

End of rant.

Regards,

=====