Re: [OM] Tennessee or New Mexico

Subject: Re: [OM] Tennessee or New Mexico
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:29:06 -0800 (PST)
John Pendley wrote:
> Walt speaks the truth--about everything but staying in
> Gatlinburg (8^).  To
> me, they turned a pleasant mountain village into the worst
> tourist trap imaginable

Yes, but we can probably get a cheap hotel for one night.  I
personally dispise Gatlinburg. Dolly doesn't do anything for me.

>We stay
> in the much quieter Townsend, TN, near Cade's Cove (don't miss
> it).

Cade's Cove is beautiful, but way too popular.  Cosby and
Cataloochie are my favorite spots in the entire park.  'shinin
country though.

> NM, especially the north and northwest parts of the state, is
> wonderful.

I'm personally kinda leaning that direction.  Spent a solid week
out there six years ago photographing a fishing magazine
article. We would like to setup and camp for a couple of nights
in a a couple of locations and probably drift up to Colorado
before heading back home.  I really like the area.  Of course,
Mexican food from New Mexico absolutely rocks!

Brother Bob will set me up with trail maps for the Jeep. May
even join us for a day of rock crawlin in his super-duper
lifted, locked and loaded Jeep.

> If you decide to go in that direction, go on to
> Arizona, a

Maybe, but we don't want to spend our entire vacation driving
down the interstate.  Especially in a Jeep.

> Where are you leaving from?

Iowa.  Probably the most remote location to mountains and ocean
in the entire country.  But we have corn and soybeans.

Walt wrote:
> >Oh, go to the Smokies.  Spring, summer and fall, you see the
> >trees, but now, with the leaves on the ground, you see the
> >mountains.  There's something special about the Smokies when
> the
> >trees are bare.

Well, yes and no.  May-June is probably the best.  Gotta fight
the snakes, though.  November is the BEST hiking time of the
year, though.

> >Go up the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee, NC, to the Balsam
> >Mountain turnoff, and when you get to the end of the
> pavement,
> >take the 23-mile Heintooga Ridge Road (dirt, but easy) back
> >Cherokee.

Done that in a Pontiac Grand Am.  Way cool.  Went to do it again
with a 4WD but they had it closed because of major washouts and
trees down.  But that was right after a major hurricane had gone
through.

I'm kinda thinking NM, but we are going to discuss it tonight.

AG-Schnozz