Re: [OM] Tennessee or New Mexico

Subject: Re: [OM] Tennessee or New Mexico
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:57:09 -0500

From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:19:58 -0800 (PST)

(Snip)

>Next week we are to take a weeklong vacation and we've narrowed
>it down to either New Mexico or the Smokey Mountains.  My wife
>has been to neither, I've been to both.
>
>Advantage to the Smokey Mountains:  Closer, less driving once
>there, good hiking, streams, waterfalls, mountains...
>
>Advantage to New Mexico:  Mexican food, Drier, mexican food,
>good off-road driving (we'll take the jeep either way), mexican
>food, big sky, mexican food...

(Snip)

Oh, go to the Smokies.  Spring, summer and fall, you see the
trees, but now, with the leaves on the ground, you see the
mountains.  There?s something special about the Smokies when the
trees are bare.

Go to Cade?s Cove via River Road from Gatlinburg late in the day,
see how many hundred deer you can count, then take Parson?s Branch
Road (dirt and rough) out to U.S. 129 at Chilhowee Lake.

Go up the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee, NC, to the Balsam
Mountain turnoff, and when you get to the end of the pavement,
take the 23-mile Heintooga Ridge Road (dirt, but easy) back to
Cherokee.

Spend a night in Gatlinburg, where there are many good
restaurants, even some Mexican, take in the new aquarium and
Ripley's museum, ride the skylift and do all the other touristy
things for a day (the kids will love it) and people-watch.  Go up
Airport Road to the Roaring Fork Nature Trail.  It?s worth the one-
hour drive.  Although you?re never more than a couple of miles
from downtown Gatlinburg, you?ll never know it.

I could go on and on, but enough already.  I can't stay away from
the Smokey Mountains.  But wherever you go, enjoy!  And take
pictures, and lots of ?em.

Walt Wayman