Re: [OM] which scanner for my slides?

Subject: Re: [OM] which scanner for my slides?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:46:53 +0000
Harry

John Pendley and I have been looking at a website which has reviews on scanners: http://www.imaging-resource.com

I started out looking at the Canoscan FS4000US (a pretty cheap 35mm 4000dpi scanner with APS feeder), but then I started looking at the 2900dpi ones, in particular the Minolta Scan Elite and the Nikon Coolscan IV. I think that I shall plump for the Minolta for its SCSI connection and multi-scanning capability. The Coolscan IV uses USB alone and I cannot afford the Firewire versions (LS4000 or LS8000). The Canoscan uses USB or SCSI, but its scans are much slower than the Nikon's or that of the Minolta. In fact the Minolta seems the fastest scanner with "ICE" available, at the low end at least. And the Mac scanning seems to be quicker than scanning with Windows (Minolta numbers :>) ).

But the choice is difficult, whatever you want ...

Chris