Re: [OM] which scanner for my slides?

Subject: Re: [OM] which scanner for my slides?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 06:00:55 -0600
Careful, this can cause religious wars too.

Olympus does not make a scanner worth considering.  The big question I have
to ask is "how much do you want to spend"?  The two best scanners are the
Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 (available for $500 in the US with rebates) and the
Nikon LS-4000 (around $1500).  Both are 4000dpi.  The Polaroid is cheap for
two reasons: it is on closeout as the 4000+ is about to be introduced and
because Polaroid is in bankruptcy, so you risk not having long-term support.

That said, the SS4000 is a heck of a bargain. I bought mine new a couple
years ago for $1500 and still think it was worth it.  I've been using an
SS4000+ as a beta tester and the improvements, while there, don't justify
the price difference. I also own the Nikon and it is also an excellent
scanner, but doesn't not have as good of a depth of field, so focusing is
more difficult.  The Nikon, though, has optional Slide or Neg feeders that
let you feed an entire roll at once. Very nice feature.

Price-wise, the 2700-2900 dpi scanners are a lot less. I don't know much
about them though, so someone else will have to jump in.

There is an excellent filmscanners list at http://www.halftone.co.uk

Tom

> Hi there,
>
> I intend to get a scanner for digital recording of my pics?
> Does Olympus produce scanners?? Or can anyone recommend a scanner for
slides which can match the zuiko-quality?