Re: [OM] PNG? was: Photo Editing for Dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] PNG? was: Photo Editing for Dummies
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 07:42:34 -0300
On 10/3/01 12:23 AM, "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> BTW, anything over about 96dpi for the web is likely a waste of time. Most
> monitors can't handle resolutions higher than that. Macs, unless they've
> changed in the past few years, do everything (display-wise) at 72dpi.

The big thing these days is just the pixel dimensions that are important for
screen display. DPI is meaningless, that "96dpi" image will look very
different if viewed at 640x480 compared to 1280x1024 (on the same monitor).
For display purposes, I don't think you can really accurately talk about
dpi. For instance, your comment about the mac doesn't make any sense in this
context. I've got a VGA 17" monitor hooked up now, 1024x768 on it would look
the same on my Mac as if I hooked it up to a PC, and all graphics would look
the same size. The Mac does still use 72dpi as it's font resolution though.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx